Big News! We are pleased with Governor Inslee’s appointments to the new Universal Health Care Commission.
Three of the appointees were nominated by HCHR, and we look forward to working with them all:
Commissioners Nominated by HCHR
- Nicole Gomez, Consumer Rep. Nicole is co-founder and Board Secretary of the Alliance for a Healthy Washington and former HCHR Policy Committee Co-Chair. She is also Chair of the 36th LD Democrats.
- Vicki Lowe, Tribal Health Representative. Vicki is the Executive Director of the American Indian Health Commission for Washington State. We worked with Vicki on the UHC Work Group and the State Based Universal Health Care Act (currently H.R. 3775). This is the federal bill that states need to design successful universal health plans.
- Mohamed Shidane, Deputy Director, Somali Health Board. We’ve worked with Shidane when he was on the UHC Work Group and he testified at hearings before the WA Legislature for universal health care and has joined our advocacy meetings with members of Congress.
- Bidisha Mandal, Washington State University Professor researching Health Economics, Health Care Policy and Economics of Gender.
- Estell Williams, M.D, University of Washington board-certified general surgeon, an Assistant Professor of Surgery, and Executive Director of the Doctor For A Day outreach program through the UW School of Medicine.
- Stella Vasquez, Corporate Programs Operations Officer, Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic.
Stay tuned for info on the first official UHC Commission meeting. The UHC Commission webpage can be found here.
The Commission is off to a great start!
Note: If you see advertisements on our website, please know that HCHR-WA does not pay for, receive payment from, or endorse them.